Friday, September 13, 2013

The Jessica Mae


Aug 19, 2013, 11:30
We finally get to take a boat out. We are moving a 42 foot fishing boat from NYC to Fort Lauderdale    It will put in for a few days for repairs and then we will take it to San Francisco through the Panama Canal. It is my first time on a commercial fishing vessel.  I remember when I was I college that lots of the guys went to Alaska to work these boats in the summer.  Made a lot of money then. I think it still does. Very cramped quarters. I think you have to be short to be a Fisherman.  The steps leading down to the sleeping berths are flush with the wall. There is an eighteen by twelve inch hole to drop through.  The hardest part is bending  my leg to get out of one step and into the next one. I will certainly have bruises from  this trip. The berths are small but that is ok. Not much different from Red Cross cots. But there is so little air inside and the upper bunk is maybe twenty four inches from my head. Claustrophobic. And there are no sheets blankets towels or creature comforts. 

No comments: